forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 09 Jun 07 5:47am

StaceyB

Occupation Mom
From Canada
Member since Thu 18 Jan 07

Re: Rice Cooker

OK, this may sound really stupid, but a thought about the water. I don't know where in BC you are, but if this is a really recent problem it could have to do with the quality of your tap water. With all the rain/snow melt/flooding you may just be getting gross water which can get that "garbage" smell. I'd try sticking to bottled water for the whole process and see if that makes a difference.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 09 Jun 07 7:36am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Will do... then the rice, then the cooker... will see what happens... was thinking about that though but we aren't really in the area that will be affected but our spring fed well may be, even now before it all starts to happen...  crossed  that we wont be affected but we may be down the road and maybe more so...

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 09 Jun 07 9:40am

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

My family has two Zogirushi rice cookers at home, and we've never had any problems with it. The old one is more than 10 years old and there is nothing wrong with it. We only got the new one because the old one was too big for three people. As for the keep warm setting, we hardly ever use it. Infact, after the rice is cooked, I normally serve the rice, and then pull out the plug, keeping the lid on. After dinner (which is about an hour later), I ladle all the extra rice into a tupperware container and it goes straight into the fridge. We use the leftovers the same week.

From my understanding, it's probably something in the water,  and that the keep warm setting on for the whole night is probably making the smell more noticable.

Perhaps you could try and describe what type of smell it is.

Last edited by Chanr (Sat 09 Jun 07 9:44am)

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 09 Jun 07 5:02pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

The smell is well, like bad stinky rice, lol! And part of the rice has turned from white to a very light brown... I think it may have something to do with the initial washing with the tap water. But I have been using bottled water to cook it so I can't seem to get over that fact as I have been cooking rice that way for over 16 years when we bought the house. I have always used the keep warm. The rice has been in there overnight and we have eaten it the next morning and it's really ok.Believe me, I wouldn't feed my family bad food. I am actually quite anal about my cutting boards, washing of hands, clean wash cloths, etc. I don't make vast amounts so if there is only a bit of rice left I will unplug it but since this has never happened before in all my years making rice and I have made a lot, I thought that the cooker should be replaced. I will try a new rice out and see if that makes a difference or not.   hmm

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 09 Jun 07 5:47pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Bcrain, the only time my rice cooked in the machine was when I found some "soon to reach its best by date" Uncle Ben's which I thought I'd cook up for the dog.

The reason it went brown is because I stupidly forgot that Uncle Bens is already parboiled and it stuck to the rice cooker and started to over-cook.

Before you hand over $100+ for a new rice cooker, try cooking the *same* rice in a saucepan, using the rinse and cook waters you use in the cooker. That way you should know whether its the rice or the rice cooker at fault. Rice is much cheaper than a new rice cooker.

If the saucepan method produces the same resuluts as the rice cooker-it's the rice or the water (though bottled water should be ok). If the saucepan method produces better results, you need to look at your rice cooker.

Good luck!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#16 Sun 10 Jun 07 6:57am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Marree, I think I paid $50.00 for my 10 cupper and as I bought it locally from a private retailer & not a chain I was probably ripped off, The Good Guys probably sell them quite cheaply.

But Bcrain, I will say again, dont risk it, dont leave rice out over night, regardless of the cooking methods you use, cover & refridgerate it.

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 10 Jun 07 5:01pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

I made some rice last night in the cooker, served it, unplugged it, and threw the rest in a container and stuck it in the fridge  lol While I was doing this all I could hear in the back of my head was everyone who posted here so no one died last night  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 10 Jun 07 5:23pm

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

cool It's good to be safe. I don't think you'll have many problems (if any at all) with this method. My whole family uses it and it's never killed any of us.  tongue

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 10 Jun 07 5:24pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Glad to hear it, bcrain wink

Did you use the same rice? How did it taste/smell (ok, I guess, or you'd have tossed it).

So, what do you think was the problem?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#20 Sun 10 Jun 07 5:27pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

yes, I used the same rice it's always fine but seems to break down thereafter... but Sunday is my shopping day so I am going to get new rice and maybe a new cooker,,, it's just time to replace it...  smile

Likes (0)