Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 07 Feb 13 6:58pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Stand Mixer Help Needed

I have to say that here in the UK, I would always go for the Kenwood...

Dunno what's available down under, or whether they are comparable quality...

BTW, did you know where the name "Kenwood" came from???

A Mr. Ken Wood.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Wood_(manufacturer)  big_smile

Last edited by wine~o (Thu 07 Feb 13 6:58pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 07 Feb 13 9:56pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Good one, Wine~O smile. I vaguely (me most of the time) remember about the derivation of the brand's name.

I have looked at the Kenwood. After my previous one lasting 30-odd years, I'd have been completely mad not to. The ones available now (here) are too small on capacity and in wattage *and* (I'm trying to be tactful) didn't seem as robust.

My (old) one was  a better machine than what's available now. Bit like the fridge, washing machine, dishwasher (etc) that lasted 25+ years and their replacements that, these days, last "five minutes".

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#13 Fri 08 Feb 13 5:20pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Maree I agree with you.  Everything you buy now adays is lucky to last a couple of years.  Even if you buy the "better quality" products you still don't know how long it will last.  Things used to be handmade or made with pride.  Now almost everything is produced is some large factory somewhere, where people just dont give a **** no more.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 08 Feb 13 5:49pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Maree, perhaps this review will help.  You may need to consider how easy and quickly you can get parts or service for whatever mixer you buy.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-commercial-mixer-review

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 08 Feb 13 9:45pm

Maree

Forum super champ

bentpenny wrote:

I have the sausage stuffer and meat/food grinder and slicer.  I have the pasta roller and i think they call it a fettucinne maker.  I want to get the ravoli maker, but like u said Maree they are expensive.

They are the attachments I've ordered, Bentpenny.

Couldn't you just use the lasagne sheets and cut out the ravioli, though?

The extruded pasta attachments' prices are eye-wateringly expensive. If I need/ want such pasta, I'll continue to buy it in a bag from the supermarket.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 08 Feb 13 9:47pm

Maree

Forum super champ

bentpenny wrote:

Maree I agree with you.  Everything you buy now adays is lucky to last a couple of years.  Even if you buy the "better quality" products you still don't know how long it will last.  Things used to be handmade or made with pride.  Now almost everything is produced is some large factory somewhere, where people just dont give a **** no more.

Yes, things used to be repaired once. Now, it's cheaper to buy a "new one" and even the repairers can't often be bothered.

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 08 Feb 13 9:52pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thank you, MsP. Squidoo is a very useful site  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 08 Feb 13 10:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Maree wrote:

bentpenny wrote:

I have the sausage stuffer and meat/food grinder and slicer.  I have the pasta roller and i think they call it a fettucinne maker.  I want to get the ravoli maker, but like u said Maree they are expensive.

They are the attachments I've ordered, Bentpenny.

Couldn't you just use the lasagne sheets and cut out the ravioli, though?

The extruded pasta attachments' prices are eye-wateringly expensive. If I need/ want such pasta, I'll continue to buy it in a bag from the supermarket.

I looked at a youtube film of the ravioli attatchment for the Kitchenaid and came to the conclusion that it was simply not worth the huge cost buying it . I noticed that it was mostly manually operated and was a real fiddle to put the filling int the correct place.. best avoided in my opinion , I decided that it would be far better to continue to fill ravioli as I have always done using a long length of pasta .

Pasta extruding attatchment I agree is so very very exensive and if I won the lottery I might make a rash purchace and buy a set but otherwise for me , its best left in the shop !

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 09 Feb 13 2:27pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I have the pasta attachments - roller, cutter for a couple of types of pasta for the KitchenAid which are nice.  For ravioli, I simply roll out sheets and either fill and cut them by hand or use a small mold that makes perfect small circular ravioli shapes.

But, if you have a separate pasta roller, it may not be worth purchasing one for the KitchenAid.  The big difference is that it leaves one hand free.

What about Hobart or some of the other names one sees in commercial kitchens?  I don't recall ever seeing KitchenAid in a commercial kitchen.

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 09 Feb 13 3:32pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I just thought that the ravioli maker would make it more convienent, and if someone happened to get me one for christmas i wouldn't mind.

Likes (0)