forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 21 Jun 13 6:04am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Weber bbq

I wouldn't bother with a weber kettle if you already have a brick grill  and are going to build a wood oven. You might want to look at the Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker if you plan to do a lot of low and slow southern BBQ.  By that I mean  long cooks 10hr up  to 20 hrs(beef brisket)  at a consistent low temp  225F~107 C.   If you build the wood oven with  inlet and outlet dampers  though, you might  be able to figure out how to hold that kind of temp without needing a dedicated smoker. 

the weber charcoal kettle is a very versitile grill . It takes a bit of patience and practice to get the most out of it . There are many people who just dump charcoal in it, light it up , wait for the grey and then blast away with high heat grilling. There is a definite learning curve and  special techniques for  those that want to get more out of it.  Learning the dampers to  get the consisent heat cooking with the lid on is one. Setting up your fire  pile using the minion or snake  method  for long cooks is another tweak.  Even just being aware that when you are doing indirect  , coals to one side , none on the other, how you set you lid on top can have an affect.  The top lid damper will draw smoke directly up if you place it over the hot side with the smoking chips . If you place it above the cold side with the meat , it will draw the smoke over the meat you have on the indirect side . less chips needed for the same amount of smoke flavour.  wink

Last edited by Ashen (Fri 21 Jun 13 6:06am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#12 Fri 21 Jun 13 8:17am

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Sergio

This chap (Marcus) has a Wood-fired oven and a Weber grill and he wouldn't go without either. His blog has some fantastic results from all the food he's cooked on his outdoor appliances. It's well worth a look... http://countrywoodsmoke.com/

Terry

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 21 Jun 13 2:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Cannyfradock - interesting site, thanks.

Ashen, you introduced us to the snake configuration today.  Thanks!

Sergio, you're spoiled for choice, sounds great!

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 21 Jun 13 3:14pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Thank you all for your opinions. I appreciate it cause when the investment involves food I like to go for the best option big_smile

Terry, thanks for the blog, very interesting indeed!!

Ashen, thanks for the thorough explanation. You got to the point that got me mainly interested in the weber bbq: smoking. And smoking with different flavours. Can I also do that in a wood fired oven? If so, how? By adding a special kind of wood or herbs?

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 21 Jun 13 9:34pm

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

It depends on what you mean by smoking.. It is possible to add smoke flavour  just by adding some fragrant woods to your grill or oven   but if you mean long slow cooks with smoke then you need something that will allow you to control the temperature of you fire  to a pretty specific range for a long period of time.  It is certainly possible on the Weber kettle but  if you already have something you can grill with, then  I would go with the Weber Smokey Mountain instead of the kettle.  Different types of woods will give you different taste. My favourites are apple , cherry and sugar maple  but other good ones are alder, mesquite ,hickory ,pecan,ordinary maple, pimento (allspice bush) . There are other options too, grape vines, dried corn cobs,  herbs and spices( you have to be careful with some of these as they can become overpowering)  , you can make a packet of allspice/pimento berries in tinfoil  fo add smoke for jamacian jerk chicken or pork  if you don't have allspice/pimento wood.  I am looking into using cinnamon sticks for cold smoking . Rosemary can add a really nice flavour or turn very bitter resinous if you over do it.

this is a picture of a relatively fast cook or chicken thighs and side ribs . I used  basque  sugarmaple charcoal and  smoke from a  chunk of sugar maple  you see sitting on the grate above the hot side of the kettle .

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/n … 39151f.jpg

Last edited by Ashen (Fri 21 Jun 13 9:49pm)

Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#16 Sat 22 Jun 13 3:26pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Ashen

Your photobucket album has some very impressive photo's. Have you a Public Blog?

Terry

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 25 Jun 13 10:46am

mark_sharp

Member since Wed 02 Jan 13

I've had Weber barbecues all my life and would highly recommend them.  At the moment i've got a Weber Spirit gas BBQ and a Weber One Touch 57 charcoal bbq.

The gas one is quick and convenient, however recently i've been using the weber charcoal bbq more. I just love the smokey flavour and its just more fun cooking with coals and wood chunks.

Weber barbecue can "seem" expensive but you really do get what you pay for, as they all come with warranties, the gas bbqs have a 25 year warranty!! I also think its a false economy buying cheap bbqs that last a year or two at the most.  Weber barbecues are for life in my opinion.

They even do smokers too! http://www.bbqs2u.co.uk/27-weber-smokey … in-cookers

Last edited by mark_sharp (Mon 27 Jan 14 4:29pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 25 Jun 13 1:02pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I just glanced at a price for the Weber Kettle Charcoal grill in the UK.  It's not expensive.  They last forever, they perform beautifully.  It's a well-made piece of equipment, accept no substitutes! big_smile

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 28 Jun 13 7:46pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Thanks again to you all!

In the meantime while I'm still deciding on wether I'm going to buy a Weber or not, I thought I'd bring some action to my life and got me a baby. That's right, my son was born last tuesday. And a big boy too, he weighted 4.025Kg!!

Likes (3)

#20 Fri 28 Jun 13 10:42pm

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

congrats Sergio..  thumbsup  big_smile

Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)