Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 27 Oct 11 9:48pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Outdoor herbs in the winter

I googled plant hardiness zone for UK..     The page I found explained how, even though GB is  farther north than even where I live, they have a much more temperate climate because of the ocean.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#12 Thu 27 Oct 11 9:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Yes, I think it is because of the Gulf Stream and also bodies of water slow the cooling and heating up process.   D.C. is actually zone 7 and even though we are just a mile outside the city, we're zone 6.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 27 Oct 11 9:55pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:06pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:15pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Yes, thanks mads, that is exactly what I needed!

It is often misunderstood that we have extremely cold winter temperatures although our latitude is maybe in line with other places in Europe and the U.K. that are much milder and yet, we also get tropical heat and humidity in summer that equals places far south of us.  It is a very tough environment for growing and we don't get reliable snow cover as many cold places do that insulates plants.  We have terrible heaving of plant roots in winter.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 27 Oct 11 11:22pm)

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:19pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

KevinLeeJacobs Kevin Lee Jacobs
YIKES! It's snowing here! Time for a double gin & tonic. How's the weather where you are?
from Twitter, it's snowing in New York shocked

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:21pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Wow, you are a Twitter expert Mads!  I am not a Twitter follower, maybe I should be.

Where in NY is it snowing?  Probably up near where my brother lives.

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:28pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

I find twitter very divertente and quick when you want to know news and do not sit with TV for hours, there are very nice pics and blogs about food, gardening and and and, you can choose from the people other twitters follow according to your interests ................. but I'm not sure I can use it properly, try MsP and you'll teach us all the tricks and tips we do not know immediately wink
I'm iosoiki ( iò 'o soi chi / I am here,  in friulano) on twitter

big_smile

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

snow in New York  shocked glad that I dont live there !!
I hate snow !!!

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:33pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

I fear it!
KevinLeeJacobs Kevin Lee Jacobs
Below-freezing temps in the Hudson Valley tonight. Better take cuttings of impatiens, petunias and wax begonias if you haven't already

where is this MsP?

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 27 Oct 11 11:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Oh well, that is a lovely area, due north of NYC.  I don't know which area, but if you can google - check out Hyde Park, NY or Poughkeepsie, Rhinebeck, Rhinecliff, very lovely places.  The Culinary Institute of America is in Hyde Park.  I've stayed in this area in a few places, one being the Beekman Arms which is one of America's oldest inns.  Franklin D. Roosevelt's home is in Hyde Park, also the Vanderbilt Mansion which has wonderful views.  It gets pretty cold up that way in winter!

A neat aspect of that area is that many 19th C. neo-gothic stone churches were converted into homes.  We went to a door of what we thought was a church on one trip through New England and the family living there had to tell us that this was no longer a church, but a private home.  Oops!

Likes (0)