Enjoy your pancakes the healthy way this Shrove Tuesday by giving them a nutritious and delicious twist with our simple step-by-step guide.
Before you start, whip up Jamie’s awesome granola dust from his latest book, Everyday Super Food. It’s an incredible concoction of nuts, seeds, oats and fruit galore, and brilliant to make in a big batch – you can add it to these pancakes, serve it simply with yoghurt and fresh fruit, whiz it into smoothies or add it to porridge for a really nutritious kick-start to your day. It’ll keep for at least a couple of weeks in an airtight container and the kids will love it too.
Used in these healthy pancakes, it adds a nutty twist to the naturally sweet and fluffy batter – a great way to get more of the good stuff into your diet.
DELICIOUS HEALTHY PANCAKES
1. Peel 1 banana, then mash it in a bowl with a fork. Crack in 1 large free-range egg and beat well.
2. Mix in 1 heaped tablespoon of wholemeal self-raising flour and 2 heaped tablespoons of granola dust until you get a smooth batter.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat, and add a drizzle of olive oil.
4. Swirl the oil around the pan, then add heaped tablespoons of the batter to the pan, spacing them out evenly.
5. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden underneath.
6. Flip the pancakes over, and fry for a further minute or so until cooked through.
7. Serve with your favourite nut butter and fresh fruit, if you like.
If you want to experiment with your pancake toppings, we’ve got plenty of healthy, tasty ideas to inspire you!