forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 22 May 07 1:08am

jenvdk

Occupation Mom of 2
From Alberta, Canada
Member since Mon 07 May 07

Re: Tasty meals on a budget

GeoffP and Blade Hunter. wow both of your ideas are great...I had never even eaten basmati rice before so I tried it tonight.  OMG  that is the best rice that has ever been in my mouth!  My kids loved it too...I did a version of your first recipe to serve with it and Blade hunter:yummy:that was soo good! Next I'll try the BeeGee burgers... already bought the weetabix  big_smile I am so glad I found this forum...so much inspiration never enough time!

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 22 May 07 5:14am

Blade Hunter

Occupation Manger of Digital operations @ SonyBMG
From Sydney, Australia

Glad you liked it smile.

An interesting note is Basmati rice is Low GI, its one of the best rices for your body smile.

Personally though, I just like it for the taste smile.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 22 May 07 5:26am

Blade Hunter

From Sydney, Australia

Okie dokie, time for another one I think smile.

This is VERY cheap and VERY tasty (You can do this meal for just a couple of bucks). I think it is pretty healthy too smile.

This meal takes about 5 mins to prep, then you just have the time to wait for the spuds to bake. It has a very low amount of leftover cleaning to be done. Quick, Cheap & Easy.

You will need

2 medium sized potatoes (Skin on)
1 tin of Tuna
1 tin of corn kernels
a small amount of mayonaisse (4 Tablespoons should do)
Some salt and Some pepper

This is a real easy one.

Bake your potatoes in the microwave 95% of the way followed by a short time in the oven for a leathery shell (My favourite) or 100% of the time in the oven if you like a crispy shell or For a super super crispy shell, run a fork down the spuds before baking, really score that little fella, when you finish it should look almost striped smile. Bake him up then and it will be crisp as concrete smile.

While this is happening, mix the Tuna and about 4 tablespoons of mayonaisse. When it is well mixed, add in the corn, some salt and some pepper to suit your tastes. Mix through.

When the spuds are done, slice them lengthways and throw a small bit of butter on there, run a knife 5 or 10 times through the flesh to let the butter seep between.

Method 1: Put the Tuna mix on top of the spuds and eat
Method 2(My fave): scoop the flesh out of the skins, mix it up with the Tuna mix and load it all back into the skins. I like this method best because it cools the potatoes down enough to wolf it down and you can sit watching TV chomping away on these things with just your fingers smile.

Enjoy, feel free to post any varieties you guys come up with smile.

Cheers

Dan

Last edited by Blade Hunter (Tue 22 May 07 5:28am)

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 22 May 07 5:36am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Tue 22 May 07

Blade Hunter wrote:

Okie dokie, time for another one I think smile.

This is VERY cheap and VERY tasty (You can do this meal for just a couple of bucks). I think it is pretty healthy too smile.

This meal takes about 5 mins to prep, then you just have the time to wait for the spuds to bake. It has a very low amount of leftover cleaning to be done. Quick, Cheap & Easy.

You will need

2 medium sized potatoes (Skin on)
1 tin of Tuna
1 tin of corn kernels
a small amount of mayonaisse (4 Tablespoons should do)
Some salt and Some pepper

This is a real easy one.

Bake your potatoes in the microwave 95% of the way followed by a short time in the oven for a leathery shell (My favourite) or 100% of the time in the oven if you like a crispy shell or For a super super crispy shell, run a fork down the spuds before baking, really score that little fella, when you finish it should look almost striped smile. Bake him up then and it will be crisp as concrete smile.

While this is happening, mix the Tuna and about 4 tablespoons of mayonaisse. When it is well mixed, add in the corn, some salt and some pepper to suit your tastes. Mix through.

When the spuds are done, slice them lengthways and throw a small bit of butter on there, run a knife 5 or 10 times through the flesh to let the butter seep between.

Method 1: Put the Tuna mix on top of the spuds and eat
Method 2(My fave): scoop the flesh out of the skins, mix it up with the Tuna mix and load it all back into the skins. I like this method best because it cools the potatoes down enough to wolf it down and you can sit watching TV chomping away on these things with just your fingers smile.

Enjoy, feel free to post any varieties you guys come up with smile.

Cheers

Dan

Nice one Blade Hunter. If you mashed the potatoes in that recipe and combined all the ingredients, added some parsley, you could turn it into tuna fritters (baked or fried)!
Regards,
    stuvik

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 22 May 07 6:01am

Blade Hunter

From Sydney, Australia

stuvik wrote:

Nice one Blade Hunter. If you mashed the potatoes in that recipe and combined all the ingredients, added some parsley, you could turn it into tuna fritters (baked or fried)!
Regards,
    stuvik

I like the sound of that, I will give that a go smile That would probably be nice with Salmon or Tuna smile

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 22 May 07 6:18am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Mentioning potato fritters reminds me of a post I did a whioe ago about versatile potato cakes, which are always a good economical standy:-

Versatile Potato Cakes and croquettes.

This is more about technique than ingredients - how to make a crisp, breadcrumb covered, oven baked potato cakes or croquettes - here's how to do it.

First, the basic ingredients:-

Mashed potato
flour
egg(s)
breadcrumbs - any sort will do - fresh or dry, whatever you like.
Oil

Cooking utensils

Deep fat fryer or "chip pan"
Baking tray or roasting tin to go in oven.
Fish slice

Quantities are up to you - depends on how many people you want to feed - just use your judgement (12 oz potato, handful of flour, 2 slices of bread serves makes 4 largish cakes or 8 croquettes - plenty for 2 people)

Preheat oven to 200+ C - or you may have it already on for a roast or stew - that temperature will do - if lower than 200 C, coook for longer.

Put out two good sized plates, with a bowl between them. On one plate goes the flour, on the other goes the breadcrumbs, and the egg(s) are beaten in the bowl. Put an extra empty plate beside the last one.

Make the mashed potato plain - don't add anything to it at this stage - no butter, milk or anything else. If using leftover mash, it may be a bit sloppy, so add flour until you have a firm texture. You can add one beaten egg per 1lb if you like. Shape the mash into balls - tennis ball size or smaller, whatever size you like, really!

Roll the balls of mash in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Flatten them into cakes, or roll them into short cylinders. Put on the last plate.

Repeat untol all mash used.

Cool in fridge for a while - say 30 to 60 mins to firm up.

Heat the oil in the fryer or pan - it should be just shimmering.

Slide a couple of cakes into the pan, and deep fry until very light golden brown - about 2 / 3 minutes max, depending on oil temperature. You aren't cooking the cakes, just setting the coating. Lift out with a fish slice, and drain on kitchen paper.

Repeat with rest of cakes.

At this point, you can chill the cakes, or even freeze them - they will stand up to being handled.

Arrange  cakes on baking tray, and oven bake - (10/15 mins fresh, 20/25 mins frozen)

The cakes / croquettes will be crisp and golden, and not at all oily.

The secret is that the deep fat frying sets the coating, without soaking into the interior, while the oven baking cooks out any oil not soaked off on the kitchen paper.

---------------------------------------------

OK - there you have the basics - now for the more interesting variations - and its a wonderful way of using leftovers.

You can add almost anything edible, precooked and dryish to the potato cakes, as well as herbs and/or spices. You can add flavourings such as chili sauce or table sauce, or any other wet or dry  flavourings to the beaten egg, and any dry flavourings to the breadcrumbs. The mashed potato is the binder, so don't add much more than its weight in in fish, meat vegetables or cheese - leftovers are fine if you have them. About the only thing to avoid is wet ingredients like tomatoes etc. - these would make the cakes unhandleable. As long as the mixture is firm enough to form into balls, it will be fine.

Almost any kind of fish will work well - white or oily, fresh or smoked - poached, steamed or even fried, as long as its cooked - whatever you have. Shellfish, prawn, crab, even lobster  work equally well - just chop roughly. You can used tinned tuna or salmon if you like.

Minced or finely chopped cooked meat is good - and even better if you add onions, fresh or fried.

Grated or crumbled cheese is good - for cheese, not more than about 1/4 or 1/3 the weight of the potato. The cheese will melt during the cooking, and make a softer mixture.

Leftover cooked veg are fine. Cooked root veg can be mashed and added in whatever quantity you like. Cauliflower or broccoli should be mashed. Cooked peas or beans can be added, whole or chopped. Leaf veg such as cabbage should be shredded.

Flavourings for the mashed potato include mustard - dry or mixed, horseradish sauce, fresh or dried herbs and spices - whatever you like. If you like curry, try adding curry spices, garlic, ginger and chili - its rather like a samosa.

You don't need to stick to just one of the above - mix and match as you like.

In the beaten egg, salt and pepper can be used, as can almost any kind of sauce - if using sauces, don't add  more than about an 1/8 the of the weight of the egg.

Dry flavourings can be added to the breadcrumbs. Parmesan works well, as does almost any herbs or spices, fresh or dry.

And there you have it - the universal crispy coated cakes or croquettes - do them as plain or as fancy as you like, serve as they are or with an appropriate sauce, have them by themselves or as an accompaniment to fish or meat - its up to you - experiment!

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 22 May 07 7:06am

GeoffP

Forum champ

There are countless ways to fill a jacket potato, and these are just a few:-

* Salsa (preferably chilled)
    * Chilli, grated cheese, and a bit of chopped onion
    * Plain yogurt, coriander1, and diced cucumber and/or red onion
    * Sautéed mushrooms (this one seems quite popular)
    * Pizza sauce and grated mozzarella
    * Caviar
    * Cheese and beans
    * Curry
    * Brie, Stilton or grated mature Cheddar
    * Cheddar and beans
    * Cheese and tomato
    * Cold cottage cheese with onion and chives, or lightly dressed coleslaw
    * Corned beef and horseradish
    * Scrambled egg, tomato, and green pepper
    * Butter with black onion seeds and a little salt
    * Cheese-grated and mixed with mayonnaise and spring onion,with a little sprinkle of crushed black pepper
    * Prawn mayonnaise
    * Slices of smoked sausage (smoked sausage can be heated in a microwave)
    * Heinz Toast Toppers
    * Chilli con (or non) carne
    * Tuna and sweetcorn mayonnaise

For extra variety, it can be nice to split the tatie in half, scoop out flesh, mix with fillig, refill shell, the finh off under the grill/broiler, haing first sprinkled breadcrumbs, parmesan or tge like over it.

Another variation is to scoop out the centre, leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell. serve the centre as mashed potatoes, with, without or mixed with the filing of your choice. Then either deep fry the potato shells until crisp, or put a little butter or oil on them, and pop into a hot oven until crisp and golden. Serve the crisp shells with the creamy centres for a variation of texture, or serve separately with a dip or another filling.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 22 May 07 7:40pm

Nalini

From Trinidad
Member since Mon 16 Apr 07

ok i have one more variation on a potato skin filling...

scoop out the potato, add cheese, evaporated milk, eggs, chive, celery and onions, salt and black pepper...mix it all together and refill...easy and so yummy...

Nalini

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 23 May 07 8:28am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Here's another cheap and easy Sunday lunch.

Chuck roast au gratin.

1 lb braising steak
3 medium potatoes
3 carots
1 onion
1 tin campbells condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4 can milk
handful grated cheddar cheese
2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp chopped chives or parsley

Preheat oven to 190C. Trim fat and put steak in large shallow casserole, cover and cook in oven for 1 hr, spoon off fat. cut potatoes in halves or quarters, halve carrots and quarter onions, and arrange around steak. Mix condensed soup with 3/4 can of milk, add chives or parsley, and pour over steak & potatoes. Cover and bake in oven for another 1 1/2 hrs or until steak is tender. remove cover, and sprinkle with grated cheddar mixed with paprika, and return to oven uncovered until top is golden brown.

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 24 May 07 1:22am

Blade Hunter

From Sydney, Australia

Mate, that sounds awesome, i might have a bash at that this weekend if I get time smile

Likes (0)